September is Hunger Action Month; how will YOU take action? Action matters in the fight against hunger and the Northern Illinois Foodbank is offering multiple events and ideas on how you or your organization can get involved in this important month-long happening.
How to get involved:
- There will be several volunteering shifts available for individuals and groups on September 11, empowering individuals, youth, and organizations to make a difference. Sign up and View on the Northern Illinois Food Bank website.
- Join in by wearing orange, the national hunger awareness color on National Hunger Action Day September 15. If you’re coming up short finding orange apparel in your closet, you can purchase official merch in the NIFB’s bonfire store here.
- September 25, Residents are invited to participate in an eye-opening poverty simulation to experience the challenges some of our neighbors may be facing. Reserve your spot through Eventbrite here.
- NIFB has set a goal of raising $150,000 to combat hunger during the month of September, The easiest way for you, your coworkers, friends and family to partner with the foodbank is by hosting your very own Fundraiser or Food Drive. Every $1 Raised Helps Provide $8 Worth of Groceries for neighbors facing food insecurity. Fundraisers are an opportunity for organizations, teams, schools, clubs, congregations, or individuals to give in memory of a lost loved one or celebrate a milestone or birthday with a DIY fundraiser. NIFB is providing downloadable promotional materials to organizers of food drives. They offer tips and advice on how to go about organizing a drive.
- In addition to all of these ways to get involved, residents can also download a free month-long calendar chock-full of ideas on how to help combat hunger each day of September.